Patreon Membership Free Player Article: Rich Hill


Preface: Today, we have an article earned by one of our Patreon members, Jenn Lepre. Jenn actually won her Veteran membership through a small contest in our fantasy baseball discussion Facebook group. For those who are new, by donating $5, you too would become a Veteran member (and help support our small venture.)

As a result of Jenn's Veteran membership, she is owed an article discussing a player of her choice. Comically, she actually doesn't care for Rich Hill very much - which is funny to me because I had anticipated my owed Patreon member articles to cover players of whom members either were big fans of or possibly a minor leaguer, obscure or known.

I'm not bothered at all, though! I have players I don't like either - and it's probably not always fair to the player, but I'm positive those of you reading have a player or two you just simply can't stand. For example, I just don't like Wade Miley. While he has turned his career around the past two seasons, he had a 5.00+ ERA for consecutive seasons previously and continued to get starts and the starting job wherever he went. Kind of like Andrew Cashner.

Then there's Dexter Fowler - just always smiling like he's earned greatness. I mean, I guess, I shouldn't knock someone for being happy, but living near St. Louis I never was satisfied with that overpaid contract of his even if he's been an above average player for most of his career.

Or Rougned Odor for the punch seen 'round the world. Starling Marte for PEDs. Hosmer and that contract. Not that I think about this all the time or that my blood boils when I see any of these guys...it's passive dislike. You know the feeling.

And while there's numerous colorful names people have for Rich Hill, we'll just stick to his name, Rich Hill.

This being my first Patreon member article, it's, too, an experience for me as I'm learning where I want to go with it - so let's just jump in.

Born and Raised

Rich Hill, age 39, was coincidentally born where he discovered ace status 35 years later - good old long-standing Boston, Massachusetts. I'm not sure if I've ever heard Rich talk, and if I have, I wouldn't have expected him to have been born in Boston. I say that because of the obvious accent that would accompany an individual from Boston.

He attended Milton high school in Milton, Massachusetts and played varsity for the Wildcats as an above average southpaw. In 2000, he then moved on to play college ball for Michigan in the Big 10. Like many of his stints in the majors, he suffered from a high WHIP. However, in his three seasons at Michigan, he slowly improved each year.

After posting a 3.84 ERA in 2001 for the Wolverines, he found his ground the following season as he put up a 3.55 ERA with 104 strikeouts in 74 innings.

It was clear Rich knew he had the ability to perform at a high level as he was initially selected by the Reds in 1999 and then again by the Angels in 2001, yet chose to continue college ball before signing with the Chicago Cubs in the 4th round in 2002.

Aside: Living in southern Illinois, I remember Rich Hill in his younger years. He had this unsuspecting quality to him. One of those guys that doesn't seem like a "freak of nature" or a phenom, someone special, etc. I guess that applies to many lefties. When I was growing up playing ball, there was always a boring lefty who had a good changeup. It was like it was just the way it had to be or something - it never made sense to me. And usually that lefty wasn't half bad - but not great either - and yet he succeeded.

The difference between my ignorant observations is that Rich Hill had a curveball, not a changeup, as this was the pitch he threw roughly one third of the time throughout the majority of his career. Hill roared through the minors pretty well - succeeding at each stop - before making it to the majors in 2005, establishing himself in 2006, and then finally showing long-term promise in 2007.

In 2007, he finished with a solid ERA of 3.91, nearly a strikeout per inning, and a 3.1 WAR. And then...we didn't see Rich Hill again for a very long time as injuries and inconsistencies took their toll.

Bumps in the Road

58, 74, 103, 24, 36, 38, 48, 83

The numbers you see above were Rich Hill's innings totals for the following 8 seasons. I can't even imagine what that must have been like. Then again, having struggled myself for the past several years...maybe I can understand.

In the final 29 innings of that last number, 83, Rich Hill found himself auditioning for the Red Sox in what ended up being a lost season for Boston overall as they finished last place in the divison. Hill stunned baseball fans by posting a rate of 11+ strikeouts per nine innings with an eye-popping ERA of 1.55. And in those 29 innings, he accrued a WAR of 1.2 - which would have put him at, roughly, a 7-8 WAR had he thrown 180-200 innings.

No one could really believe it. Some took chances on him in their fantasy league playoffs and likely it paid dividends. I feel as though I vaguely remember using him myself.

4 years later, and we now know that Rich Hill lost his infant son before his son's life really started in February of 2014 as he has openly shared his story with the world. It begs to wonder if that had any impact on his success the following years. I've met people before who have said that a death of someone close had made them a better person. 

Clearly, though, something clicked that year in which he played for the Sox. Maybe it was a mix of his unfortunate experience and being reunited to his hometown area. Who really knows.

Renewed

Rich Hill's short-but-sweet stint with the Red Sox resulted in a six million dollar contract with the Athletics the following season - in which he dominated hitters to the tune of a 2.12 ERA for the season and a 3.9 WAR...in only 110 innings. For comparison, Max Scherzer and Chris Sale, when healthy, toss double those innings - and if you did so for Hill (extrapolate), that kind of WAR would be equal to, if not higher, than the aforementioned aces. He was great.

Rich Hill was then traded that year to the contending Dodgers (in a trade that now looks kind of okay for the Athletics given the emergence of Frankie Montas) as he went on to be even better for the Divison Title winners performing with a 1.83 ERA in six starts.

The following two seasons, Rich Hill seemed to regress from ace status to above average - looking more like the guy he was before those 8 rocky seasons (albeit with a greatly improved strikeout rate).

Chasing The Past

Once we all saw what Rich Hill accomplished in 2016, we continued to chase that taste of glory in the fantasy world - overvaluing him even to this day. As we all know, blisters became a massive issue for Hill and it's highly plausible that was the main component of his regression.

Blisters became such an issue that fantasy owners and baseball fans alike would make jokes of the matter. Rich Hill, himself, even admitted to urinating on his blisters in an attempt to heal them more quickly - likely further bringing criticism.

Now, coincidentally, I recently gained a massive blister on the bottom of my own foot - effecting my work - so I guess I understand now more than ever. It's a silly sounding injury and a dumb feeling for the individual in question to know that you are hindered because of a blister. But I digress.

Between 2017 and the end of 2019, Rich Hill will have earned approximately 48 million dollars - something that seemed completely impossible a decade ago. Though we're talking major league talented athletes, it does go to show you time can change many things. Experience, work ethic - you could be a millionaire in a handful of years whoever you are. Just gotta' work out the kinks.

That said, Rich Hill has made somewhat of a name for himself in the meantime with, I guess you could say, "antics". Recently, for example, he went on a "profanity tirade" as the shift was in place during a game and an opposing hitter bunted down the vacant 3rd base line. Cursing maniacally despite it being only the first inning with no outs and no runners on base. 

There were other little actions, too, that make Hill a bit of a spectacle I suppose. Overall, though, I'd say he's pretty damn lucky. He accomplished his dream - even if it didn't occur until the ripe age of 35. To think that 50 million dollars fell in his lap after his emergence is telling. I still dream of playing myself sometimes and I find that aspect of his life intriguing and motivating for myself to somehow dig and get back to playing at a higher level, as well.

Now 39, Mr. Hill is still kicking with strong pitching peripherals - albeit with the occasional recurring IL stint or monitored innings and/or pitch count. It's a curious thought to think how long he'll stick around. It seems like he's either close to converting to a reliever or retiring altogether. He's thrown almost the exact velocity throughout the entirety of his career. At this point, if he wanted to, he appears to be someone who could pitch for another 3 years in some capacity even if he isn't quite the guy we saw come out of the shadows in 2016.

Again, thanks to Jenn Lepre for being a fan of The Catch and showing interest in our venture. For those of you reading, you can always subscribe to our free site and receive our articles directly in your inbox. Support us on Patreon if you wish - totally up to you. We have our own fantasy discussion Facebook group, as well. Thanks for reading!

HUGE Thanks to Our Patreon Supporters and Members:

Veteran Members:
Jenn Lepre

Legendary Members:
Brian Jeffcoat

Thank you all so much!



Comments